Friday, October 7, 2011

From the office of Congressman Todd Akin, re: The Older Americans Act. Fuck 'em

Sent: October 07, 2011 03:39 PM
Subject: From the office of Congressman Todd Akin

 

 

Dear Daniel:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Older Americans Act.  I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

The Older Americans Act of 1965 is the major federal vehicle for the delivery of social and nutrition services for older persons.  These include support services, congregate nutrition services, home-delivered nutrition services, family caregiver support, community service employment, the long-term care ombudsman program, and services to prevent abuse, neglect, and exploitation of older persons.  In 2006, Congress reauthorized the act for five years, which will expire at the end of this fiscal year absent further reauthorization.

The proportion of older Americans will continue to grow over the coming decades, with the demand for services likely to grow as well.  A recent Government Accountability Office (GAO) study released in September 2010 cited that this will cause the cost of the Older Americans Act to expand at an unsustainable rate, even if current spending levels are advanced.  This study further recommended that the Department of Health and Human Services study the effectiveness of cost-sharing and means-tested benefits.

In an era of trillion-dollar deficits, and when the federal government is borrowing 43 cents for every dollar spent, accountability for government spending cannot be ignored.  Our children and grandchildren deserve better than to have this crushing debt burden passed onto them.  With this as my guiding principle, I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind should the reauthorization of the Older Americans Act come before the House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact my office. Please know that I will continue to work for my fellow Missourians in the legislative matters I am able to address.

It is a privilege to represent you and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me regarding any matter where I might be of assistance. Please visit my website, where you can find more information on current issues, share further thoughts with me via email and subscribe to my e-newsletter for updates on issues you care about. 


Sincerely,

Todd Akin
Member of Congress

Join our online community!

 
Facebook  
 Twitter  
 YouTube  
E-Newsletter  
Please feel free to visit my website at http://akin.house.gov/ to contact me and let me know the issues that concern you.

 

 

Posted via email from danny6114's Pre- posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment