Monday, January 24, 2011

Fender skirts Blasts from the past!

>             *FENDER SKIRTS*
>             I know some of you will not understand this message, but I
>             bet you know someone who might. I came across this phrase
>             yesterday. *_'FENDER SKIRTS._*_'_
>
>
>             A term I haven't heard in a long time, and thinking about
>             'fender skirts' started me thinking about other words that
>             quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice
>             like *_'curb feelers.'
>             _**
>             *
>
>             And 'steering knobs.' (AKA) ?~*_suicide knob_*,? ~*_neckers
>             knobs_*.?
>
>
>             Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that
>             direction first.
>
>             Any kids will probably have to find some older person over
>             50 to explain some of these terms to you.
>
>             Remember *_'Continental kits_*? 'They were rear bumper
>             extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make
>             any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.
>
>
>             When did we quit calling them *'emergency brakes?' *At some
>             point 'parking brake' became the proper term. But I miss the
>             hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.'
>
>
>             I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who
>             would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.' Many today do
>             not even know what a *clutch** *is or that the *dimmer
>             switch** *used to be on the floor.
>
>
>             Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come
>             home, so you could ride the *'running board'** *up to the house?
>
>
>             Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never
>             anymore -*'store-bought.'** *Of course, just about
>             everything is store-bought these days. But once it was
>             bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a
>             store-bought bag of candy.
>
>
>             'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of
>             excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the
>             term 'world wide' for granted. This floors me.
>
>
>             On a smaller scale, *'wall-to-wall'** *was once a magical
>             term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her
>             hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today,
>             everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood
>             floors. Go figure.
>
>
>
>
>
>             When was the last time you heard the quaint phrase *'in a
>             family way*? 'It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant'
>             was once considered a little too graphic, a little too
>             clinical for use in polite company, so we had all that talk
>             about stork visits and 'being in a family way' or simply
>             'expecting.'
>
>             Apparently *'brassiere'** *is a word no longer in usage. I
>             said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess
>             it's just 'bra' now. 'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be
>             understood at all.
>
>             I always loved going to the *'picture show,'** *but I
>             considered 'movie' an affectation.
>
>
>             Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure
>             '60s word I came across the other day *'rat fink.** **'*Ooh,
>             what a nasty put-down!
>
>
>             Here's a word I miss -*'percolator.'** *That was just a fun
>             word to say. And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.'
>             How dull... Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.
>
>
>             I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to
>             sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like
>             *'DynaFlow'** *and *'Electrolux.' *Introducing the 1963
>             Admiral TV, now with *'SpectraVision!'
>             *
>
>             Food for thought. Was there a telethon that wiped out
>             *lumbago*? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's
>             what *castor oil** *cured, because I never hear mothers
>             threatening kids with castor oil anymore.
>
>
>             Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered
>             list. The one that grieves me most is *'supper.'** *Now
>             everybody says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone
>             to supper. Discuss fender skirts.
>
>
>             Someone forwarded this to me. I thought some of us of a
>             'certain age' would remember most of these.
>
>
>             Just for fun, pass it along to others of 'a certain age.'
>
>
>
>             IF YOU AREN'T OF A CERTAIN AGE, YOU MUST KNOW SOMEONE
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  
>

 

Posted via email from danny6114's Pre- posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment