Thursday, July 28, 2011

Reply from Senator Roy Blunt, What do you guys think of this?

Sent: July 28, 2011 01:00 PM
Subject: Reply from Senator Roy Blunt

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) proposed rule regarding rural broadband services. 

As you know, the Universal Service Fund (USF) is supposed to promote more affordable telecommunication access and availability for consumers. The Fund has grown to over $8 billion a year, but its focus has not changed even as the way people communicate has.

I believe that the USF needs to be refocused, moving away from traditional land-line phone subsidy and toward expanding broadband service to unserved areas of our country. This shift cannot and should not be done overnight, but we need a plan to move forward gradually.

The commercial sector has done an incredible job of expanding broadband access and availability across the country. It is clear that they cannot shoulder the costs alone. The federal government, through the USF program, has a role in sharing this cost, and I will continue to work to ensure that this change meets our country's evolving communication needs.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt) about the important issues facing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website (blunt.senate.gov) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter.

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
United States Senator   

Posted via email from danny6114's Pre- posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment