Friday, February 5, 2010

The Perils of a Catholic Upbringing

Perils  of a  Catholic  Upbringing



As  I walked down the busy sidewalk with my wife, knowing I was  late for Mass, my eye fell upon one of those unfortunate,  ragged vagabonds that are found in every city these  days.

  
Some  people turned to stare. Others quickly looked away as if the  sight would somehow contaminate  them.

  

  
Recalling  my old pastor, Father Mike, who always admonished me to "care for  the sick, feed the hungry and clothe the naked," I was moved by  some powerful inner urge to reach out to this unfortunate  person.

 

Wearing what can  only be described as rags, carrying her treasured worldly possessions in  two plastic bags, my heart was touched by this person's  condition.  

  
Yes, where some  people saw only rags, I saw a true, hidden  beauty..

  
A small voice  inside my head called out, "Reach out, reach out and touch this  person!"

 

 

 

Scroll down 
 

  

  

 

So I  did.




I won't be at Mass  this week.

  
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Posted via email from danny6114's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment